Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Execution time

From: Marco Gavanelli <marco.gavanelli_at_...17...>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:48:32 +0200
Hi,

There can be various reasons.
One reason could be that you found a phase transition.
It looks as if your instances were randomly generated: which parameters
did you use to generate these instances?

If you used the same parameters for the two instances, then they could
be the so-called "exceptionally hard problems" (see works by Barbara
Smith and colleagues).
If this is the case, the usual solution is to use a randomized search
strategy with restarts at increasing timeouts (see works by Carla Gomes
and colleagues).

As a basic implementation, you could change your search strategy as follows:

     TimeOut::1..300,
     bb_min((
        indomain(TimeOut), writeln(timeout(TimeOut)),

        bb_min((
         search(Starts, 0, smallest, indomain_random, complete, []),
         search([R], 0, smallest, indomain, complete, [])
        ),
        Cost, bb_options{strategy: restart, delta: 0.0001,
                         timeout: TimeOut, report_failure: Cost})
     ),
     Cost, bb_options{strategy: restart, delta: 0.0001,
                      report_failure: Cost}),

Of course, this linearly increasing timeout is very simplistic; Luby
sequences would probably give better results:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~sinclair/vegas.ps

Cheers,
Marco

--
Marco Gavanelli, Ph.D. in Computer Science
Dept of Engineering