Re: [eclipse-clp-users] mapping between java and eclipse problem

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 22:45:09 +0100
carole dawood wrote:
> Hello,
> in my CP code, i have a predicate that returns a double and i can not read
> it in my java code, it is displayed as null so how can i read the value ??
> Thank you a lot,
> Carole Dawood
> Computer Science and Engineering
> German University in Cairo

Hi,

I am not quite sure what you mean by 'a predicate that returns a
double'. Do you mean that one argument of your predicate is instantiated
to a real (i.e. floating point number)? If this is sent in EXDR format,
it will map to a Java double, and should be printed (I have just tested
this).

You should only get null back if the argument was not instantiated, or
if the argument is instantiated to something that EXDR cannot represent,
  e.g. a bignum (large integers).

If all you are doing is printing your results from an RPC in Java, then
you might want to just return the result as a string (still using EXDR
format), you can convert a term to a string using term_string/2. This
will then be displayed in normal ECLiPSe format, instead of the much
less readable format used by the ToString method for CompoundTerms.
The CompoundTerm format is really intended to allow the programmer to
use the data returned from ECLiPSe, rather than just printing it out.

In fact, if all you are doing is printing your ECLiPSe results in your
Java program, you may want to think about doing everything directly with
ECLiPSe, which will make things much easier.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.