Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Thread Handling and Performance Optimisation

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 23:35:49 +0000
Hi Christian,

Christian Wirth wrote:
> I've have two problems, that can hopefully be somehow solved:
>
> 1) I need to limit the available CPU time for Eclipse CLP (called via
> Java). A percentual limit would be best.

This sort of thing is normally controlled by the OS, and not by
individual programs. I think normally you set a priority for the process
(at least on Unix like systems), rather than specifying the % of CPU
time -- this give fairer control, as if no one else is using the
machine, your low priority task will use up the CPU cycles that will
otherwise be idle anyway. On the other hand, if the processor is busy
with higher priority task, then your low priority task will not be
taking up the CPU cycles at all....

> 2) Is it possible to determine which predicate is called how often/how
> many CPU time it uses ? This way i could identify the bottlenecks of my
> prolog code ...

ECLiPSe provide various profilers for profiling your code, these are
described in the User Manuals 'Development Support Tools' chapter:

http://eclipse-clp.org/doc/userman/umsroot083.html

There is the timing profiler, the port profiler, and the line coverage tool.

The timing profiler probably comes closest to your description, but note
that this is not supported on Windows.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.