Re: [eclipse-clp-users] constraint on indexed elements

From: Riyadh Abdulkadir <riyadhabdulkadir_at_...6...>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:43:38 +0300
Hi everyone,

I found this problem interesting and here is my beginners solution. I
think that the createstacks/2 clause in particular can be improved. Has
anyone else given this a go?

% Start of program

% Program to arrange boxes in stacks of 12 depending on their width and depth
% A box can be stacked onto another box if the width and depth are
smaller or equal to the box below
% Only the minimum number of stacks required is checked, if no valid
solution is found it does not add more stacks
% A version with only 8 boxes and maximum stack of three boxes finds a
solution in a short time
% This version finds a solution quickly, you can rearrange the boxes
to make it more difficult

:-lib(ic).
:-lib(lists).

%list of 30 boxes
%argument 1 = box number, argument 2 = width, argument 3 = height

box(15, 31, 31).
box(16, 30, 30).
box(17, 29, 29).
box(18, 28, 28).
box(19, 27, 27).
box(20, 26, 26).
box(21, 25, 25).
box(22, 24, 24).
box(23, 23, 23).
box(24, 22, 22).
box(25, 21, 21).
box(26, 20, 20).
box(27, 19, 19).
box(28, 18, 18).
box(29, 17, 17).
box(30, 16, 16).
box(01, 15, 15).
box(02, 14, 14).
box(03, 13, 13).
box(04, 12, 12).
box(05, 10, 10).
box(06, 9, 9).
box(07, 8, 8).
box(08, 7, 7).
box(09, 6, 6).
box(10, 5, 5).
box(11, 4, 4).
box(12, 3, 3).
box(13, 2, 2).
box(14, 1, 1).

% clause to insert an element into a list - required by permutation clause

insert(X, L, L1) :-
	delete(X, L1, L).

% creates permutations of a list of items

permutation([], []).
permutation([X|L], P) :-
	permutation(L, L1),
	insert(X, L1, P).

% Attempts to add a box to the next box on the list
% Argument 1 is the stack of boxes to be added succesively
% Argument 2 is the box at the botton of the stack
% The checkpositions clause sends the first element of the stack as
the second clause and the rest of % the stack as the first clause

addbox([], _).
addbox([H|T], Boxstack) :-
	[S|_] = Boxstack,
	box(H, W1, _),
	box(S, W2, _),
	box(H, _, D1),
	box(S, _, D2),
	W1 =< W2,
	D1 =< D2,
	addbox(T, [H|Boxstack]).

% Divides the permutation of the list of boxes into stacks of 12
% The first predicate matches the last stack if it has less than 12 boxes
% It seems possible to code this in a better way

createstacks(Stack, Stack) :-
	length(Stack, N),
	N < 12,
	N > 0.
createstacks([B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B7, B8, B9, B10, B11, B12|_],
[B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B7, B8, B9, B10, B11, B12]).
createstacks([_, _, _, _, _, _, _, _, _, _, _, _|Rest], Stack) :-
	createstacks(Rest, Stack).

% Calls addbox for each stack

checkpositions([]) :- true.
checkpositions([[Sh|St]|T]) :-
	addbox(St, [Sh]),
	checkpositions(T).

% The stackem clause uses findall to get a list of boxes
% I them calls permutation to get the first permutaion
% The second findall createstacks to create a list of all stacks
% Finally is calls checkpositions to check if each stack is valid

stackem(Boxes, Stacks) :-
	findall(B, box(B, _, _), Boxes),
	permutation(Boxes, OrderedBoxes),
	findall(Stack, createstacks(OrderedBoxes, Stack), Stacks),
	writeln(Stacks),
	checkpositions(Stacks).

% End of program

Regards