Re: [eclipse-clp-users] constraint on indexed elements

From: Benoit Hoessen <b.hoessen_at_...6...>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 08:57:24 +0100
Hello,

First, thank you for your response. I will try to explain better the
problem I'm trying to solve and the problem I'm facing to model it
using ECLiPSe. My problem is the following: we have a list of N boxes
of different sizes but same height. We must create J stacks with those
boxes. A stack may contain up to 12 boxes. In a stack, the box B can
be put on box A if the width of A is greater or equals the width of B
and if the length of A is also greater or equals the length of B.

My problem is that I don't know how I can model this.

I tried to following way, but I don't think it's a good way to model it.
Data:
* A box is represented with a term: box(Length,Width). The N boxes are
in a list.
* A number is associated with the boxes by using a dynamic predicate
(boxIndex(+I, +B) : is true if B is a box and I is a number) where one
box is associated with 1 and only 1 number.
* The J stacks are represented by a list LStacks of length J
* A stack is represented by a list of length 12
* A box in a stack is represented by it's number
Constraints:
* To model the constraint "up to 12 boxes in a stack", J*12 - N boxes
of width=length=0 are created. The constraint is now that there will
always be 12 boxes in a stack

My problem is to model the constraint on 2 boxes in a stack. I could
use the suspend library to wait that the 2 variables are instantiated
to check the satisfaction on the constraint, but I don't like this
approach as it won't use any domain consistency method.

For me, in a "ideal world" I would'n use the number associated with
the boxes and the stacks would be represented by variables defined on
a domain D such that it is the set of the possible boxes. The
constraint on 2 boxes would be a kind of primitive constraint and as
it uses only 2 variable, an arc-consistency method could be used.
The problem is that -as far as I know- symbolic domains in ECLiPSe
don't accept terms.

Is there a way to get closer to my "ideal world" ?

Benoit Hoessen