Re: [eclipse-clp-users] timeout in bb_min/3

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:29:09 +0000
Amine Marref wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Eclipse version 6.0#115 under Ubuntu 9.
>
> I attach the predicate solve/1 which calls bb_min/3 at line 189. After about 1500 seconds, eclipse returns that the problem has no solution.
>
> However, the timeout option in bb_min/3 in the attached file, should stop search after 10 seconds. It is not timing out.
>
> What could be the reason?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Amine.

Hi Amine,

The time-out for bb_min applies to the bb_min it is in. Your program
calls bb_min many times, and each bb_min seem to fail very quickly (much
less than the 10 second time-out), that is why you don't time-out.

You are calling bb_min many times because you have created many
choice-points when you posted your constraints before bb_min (as you
create alternative constraints to post with ;). Normally, this style of
programming (having many choice-points when you post your constraints)
is not a recommended style for constraint programming.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.