Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Getting legaly named variables / Unifiying Term Lists

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:50:35 +0000
Christian Wirth wrote:
> i'm currenlty using set_var_name in my programm to get lists like this:
>
> List=[pred(Var#1,Var#2)].

I am not quite sure what you mean by "get lists like this".
lib(var_name) is designed purely to allow unique names for variables
when they are printed. You should not use them in any other way.

> i have now a second list
>
> List2=[pred(Var#3,Var#4),pred2(Var#3,Var#4)]
>
> and then i call union(List,List2,Result) and Result becomes
> [pred(Var#1,Var#2),pred2(Var#3,Var#4)], but i need
> [pred(Var#1,Var#2),pred2(Var#1,Var#2)]

I am not sure I understand how you got this. What exactly did you write?

I just tried:

set_var_name_counter('Var', 1),set_var_name([W,X,Y,Z], 'Var'),
L1 = [pred(W,X)], L2 = [pred(Y,Z),pred2(Y,Z)], union(L1,L2, L)

and here is the the result:

W = Var#1
X = Var#2
Y = Var#1
Z = Var#2
L1 = [pred(Var#1, Var#2)]
L2 = [pred(Var#1, Var#2), pred2(Var#1, Var#2)]
L = [pred(Var#1, Var#2), pred2(Var#1, Var#2)]

> this should work, but it only does with "normal" variable names like Var
> .. not with the # in between.

I don't understand this at all. Using lib(var_name) should not have any
effect on how the program behave, it only affects the way a variable's
name is printed. What do you mean it does not work with # in between?

> Now i have to choices changing set_var_name to create legal names, but
> the function is build in ??
> .. or to get union to somehow correctly consider all named variables ?

Are you somehow thinking of usng these names in your own source code?
The source code names have nothing to do with the names lib(var_name)
produces -- the non-legal names is there to prevent you confusing names
you write in your source from the names printed using lib(var_name).

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.