Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Propagate and not resolve a problème

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 14:41:17 +0000
mdjefel wrote:
> Hi every body,
>
> I know that ECliPSe is a tool to resolve problem. But I want to just
> propagate constraints and to return the reduction of domain's variables.
> How can I do that.
> Thanks in advance for you answers.
>
> Mériem

Hi Mériem,

ECLiPSe is a programming language which includes libraries that support
constraint programming in various domains, with various solving methods.

Constraint propagation is used as the reasoning method in some of the
constraint libraries supported by ECLiPSe, e.g. ic, mentioned by Wit's
reply to your original post. Note that with constraint propagation as
your solving method, the propagation is normally not sufficient to solve
a problem (i.e. find values for all problem variables consistent with
the constraints), and you need to write extra code to solve the problem,
perhaps by doing search, and this is not really part of the constraint
library.

In ic, there is also generally no guarantee on the level of consistency
achieved by the propagations, unless it is specifically stated otherwise
in the manual. If your interest is in seeing how much domain reduction
can be achieved with a certain level of consistency, then ic is probably
not what you want. You may want to look at the propia library instead:

http://www.eclipse-clp.org/doc/libman/libman038.html

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.