Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Help Using clpcbc and eplex

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 02:10:10 +0000
> loading OSI clpcbc ... /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.1' not found (required by /home3/kiyan/eclipse_bed/eclipse/lib/x86_64_linux/seosiclpcbc.so)
> problem while trying to load a shared library in load("x86_64_linux/seosiclpcbc.so")
> loading OSI clpcbc ... /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.1' not found (required by /home3/kiyan/eclipse_bed/eclipse/lib/x86_64_linux/seosiclpcbc.so)

Hi Kiyan,

Your problem is probably due to an incompatibility between the g++ you
have installed on your system, and the one that the eplex CLPCBC library
is compiled on.

The if_osiclpcbc tarball includes the CLP/CBC solvers, statically linked
in, so you don't need to compile them yourself. However, because CLP/CBC
requires the libstdc++ library that comes with g++, and different
versions of g++ have mutually incompatible versions of this library, you
must have a version of the library that matches the one that the CLP/CBC
   is compiled with.

We used to distribute a matching version of the library with the
tarball, but it got very complicated to locate the correct libstdc++
correctly, and there were also other possible potential
incompatibilities with other third party components that uses libstdc++,
so we stopped doing this.

So you need to either find the libstdc++.so that matches the version
that ECLiPSe and the CLP/CBC is compiled with. Unfortunately, I am not
sure which version of gcc/g++ is used to compiled the x86_64_linux
version of ECLiPSe -- recent versions of the x86_64_linux builds are
done on machines I do not have access to.

The other alternative is to build ECLiPSe, as well as CLP/CBC, from
source yourself. In this case, you can be certain that the same version
of gcc/g++ is used. However, you need to use the main branch of CBC,
rather than the stable branch, as we use some features that are still
not found on the stable branch, as of a few months ago, when I last
checked.  You may want to read the ECLiPSe Build-and-Test-Setup Guide
(distributed with ECLiPSe, but this is in MS Word format, a pdf version
is available at:

http://www.eclipse-clp.org/reports/SetupGuide.pdf

If anyone knows of a better way of dealing with incompatibilities
between libstdc++ libraries for gcc, so that we can distribute binaries
that will run across a larger range of installed gcc/g++ versions, do
please let me know!

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.