Re: [eclipse-clp-users] How to extend lib(ic) to get stronger propagation?

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:11:55 +0000
Ulrich Scholz wrote:
> It is clear that a constraint package cannot detect and propagate all
> possible simplifications.  But sometimes, a specific simplification can be
> of great help.
>
> Consider the following constraint program.
>
>   [eclipse 3]: lib(ic), [A, B] :: [0, 100], A #=< B, B #=< A.
>
>   A = A{[0, 100]}
>   B = B{[0, 100]}
>

>   Delayed goals:
>           -(B{[0, 100]}) + A{[0, 100]} #=< 0
>           B{[0, 100]} - A{[0, 100]} #=< 0
>   Yes (0.00s cpu)
>

> It would really help me if (an extended) ic would simplify this case to
> A#=B.  Labeling is no option for me, I need to detect this case early.

This is a well known weakness with local propagation based solvers like
ic, that you cannot perform `global' reasoning *between* constraints. It
certainly does not make sense to try to extend ic itself to deal with
some specific cases such as the one you show, firstly because it is far
from general, and secondly, even for the special cases, the cost is
prohibitive.

If your application has specific special cases like the one you
outlined, and you think the cost for doing checks is worthwhile in your
specific application, then you should write your own code to deal with
this, as suggested by Helmut.

A more general approach is to try a hybrid approach -- using different
solvers to tackle the same problem, exploiting the different strengths
of the different solvers. This has been a big research area, and is one
reason why a lot of development effort of the ECLiPSe team have been
devoted to developing the eplex library.

 >I know CHR and use it for some constraints.  But re-writing lib(ic) >with
 >CHRs will be my last resort because it is a lot of work for some small
 >extra
 >propagation.  And most likely lib(ic) is more correct and more >efficient.

 >I don't know how to add an extension to lib(ic) with CHRs, e.g., how to
 >trigger a CHR in case two ic constraints are posted.

Using CHR (lib(ech)) as Helmut suggested is probably the simplest
approach by far. I am not sure I understand your difficulties completely
-- the idea is to post the same  constraint to both CHR and ic, i.e. you
define something like:

my_gte(X,Y) :-
    ic: (X #>= Y),
    chr_gte(X,Y).

you then write some CHR rules like:

chr_gte(X,Y), chr_lte(X,Y) <=> ic: (X #= Y).

If you try to do this with ic alone (i.e. writing your own special
constraint), you will need to write your own mechanism for storing
posted constraints, search them for matches, i.e. redoing what is
implemented by the CHR library already.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.