Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Reading File

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 17:29:00 +0000
Igor Kondrasovas wrote:

> The thing is that the "dim" predicate is exiting unexpectedly and the
> program stops.
>

> I suppose the read_file is not actually returning an array of values that
> dim predicate can use. Looking at the tracer I couldn't reach a conclusion.

Your read_file constructs a *list* of values (assuming the data you are
reading is in the right format). This is not an array. Lists and arrays
are different data structures.

Your call to dim/2 is probably failing (I assume that is what you mean
by `exit'), because you are calling it with a list rather than an array.
This has no dimension, so the second argument (the dimension) is set to
the empty list ([]), which does not unify with your second argument.

If you are unfamiliar with the basic data types of Prolog/ECLiPSe (such
as the difference between lists and structures), it would be quite
difficult to program in ECLiPSe, and you probably need to become more
familiar with programming in Prolog by reading some introductory
textbook on it. You could also read the tutorial chapter on Prolog, this
may be a little too concise if you have no background at all with Prolog.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.