Re: [eclipse-clp-users] debugging in embedded engine

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:01:21 +0000
Levente Zsíros wrote:
> Hi!
> I'd like to embded the ECLiPSe engine in a Java application as a general
> purpose scripting language (don't ask why). I'm wondering how it would be
> possible to invoke the eclipse debugger to the already running engine. (By
> default the debugging window wouldn't be open.)  Do I have to know tcl to do
> that?

Hi Zsiros,

With lib(remote_tools), you can connect the development tools (the tools
used with TkECLiPSe, but without the toplevel) to any ECLiPSe process,
including embeded ECLiPSe in Java. In fact, you can use it to debug a
remote ECLiPSe process running on a different machine, provided you can
access the sockets on that machine [the connection is established using
sockets I/O].

There is an additional step to using the tools in this case, you need to
attach the tools to the ECLiPSe process you want to debug. This involve
actions on both the ECLiPSe and the tool sides. When you want to use the
tools, you need to start tktools (in the same directory as the other
ECLiPSe executables like tkeclipse and eclipse), which starts the tools
and waits to connect to the ECLiPSe process. On the ECLiPSe side, you
need to run remote_tools's attach_tools/0 or /3, which set up the socket
connection, including the port (and host) information you need for the
remote tools.

If you are running this manually, tktools will ask you to input the port
number (which is provided by running attach_tools -- attach_tools/0
simply prints this to output), You can also set the host entry, but this
should only be necessary if you are running the tools and ECLiPSe on
different machines. Once you supply the information requested, the
remote tools will be attached and ready for use.

You can write some code so that invokes tktools from within your ECLiPSe
process, and supply it with the port/host information. The help
documentation for attach_tools/3 shows such an example.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.