Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Can EXDROutputStream.write() parse strings?

From: Joachim Schimpf <joachim.schimpf_at_...44...>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:04:58 +1100
-dp- wrote:
> After reading the embedding guide and the javadoc
> about EXDROutputStream, I was under the impression that the write method
> attempts to parse any string passed in as a compound term if possible,
> and if that isn't possible, it would try to parse as a list, number, etc
> until possibly settling on a string as the best parse.
>
> But after testing this with ECLiPSe 6.0, it seems that the write method
> doesn't attempt to parse into ECLiPSe types. Is that by design? It seems
> like there would be built-in support for parsing strings.

The whole idea of exchanging data in EXDR format is to avoid any
assembling and parsing of strings (and thus to avoid all the unpleasant
problems of quoting, etc).

Instead, you put something typed (and possibly structured) in at the
Java side, and you get something typed and structured out on the
ECLiPSe side (and vice versa):

CompoundTerm  <-->  ECLiPSe term
Integer <-->  ECLiPSe integer
Double,Float <--> ECLiPSe float
Collection <--> ECLiPSe list
String <--> ECLiPSe string
null <--> ECLiPSe free singleton variable

If I have misunderstood your question, please give some more detail
of what you want to achieve.

-- Joachim