Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Linear Optimization Problem

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 22:15:12 +0100
Igor Kondrasovas wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> This is my first project using CLP and looking at the sample projects on the
> Eclipse page I couldn't find something similar to the problem I must solve,
> so I would like to gently ask you for some support or guidance. Hopefully
> with your help I will be improving my skills and performing more complex
> tasks.
>

> Basically what I would like to do is to optimize the cuttings of linear
> materials (pipes, tubes, bars, etc) in order to maximize the material usage.
>

> So, my input data would be the size of the raw bars. For example 6 meters,
> 12 meters, etc.. and the size of every single piece I must cut from this
> bars ( 50 cm, 10 cm, 90 cm, etc).

Hi Igor,

I don't know if you are required to use finite domain to solve this
problem, but the tutorial chapter for the Column Generation library in
the ECLiPSe tutorial describes how to model and solve such 1-dimensional
cutting stock problem using the library. This of course is not a finite
domain solution to the problem.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.