Re: [eclipse-clp-users] API for c++ nolinear constraints

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:52:02 +0100
Hi Liu Yu,

ECLiPSe is a programming language, and you should write your program
(and thus the constraints you want to use) in ECLiPSe, and not try to do
it from C++. In ECLiPSe, you can write the expressions more or less like
you have presented them:

C1/X1 =< R1

(note =< is used instead of <=, as <= looks like implication)

and to write this as a constraint, with X1 taking real values, you need
lib(ic), and use $=< for your operator:

C1/X1 $=< R1

liu.yu.senior.china wrote:
> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> I am new to eclipse and clp and I have nonlinear constraints as follows:
>
> only  x1..xn are vaiables and all the thers are constants.
>
> c1/x1<=r1
> c1/x1+c2/x2<=r2
> c1/x1+c2/x2+c3/x3<=r3
> c1?x1+c2/x2+c3/x3+..+cn/xn<=rn
>
> I was wondering if I can use a single for loop to post all the constraints. Is there any eclipse data type for me to store expressions like c1/x1+c2/x2...?

Yes, in ECLiPSe you can write arbitrarily complex expressions without
any problems.

> Another constraint is like
>
> exp(c1*x1)+exp(c2*x2)+...+exp(cn*xn)>=constant

exp(Expr) (e to the power of Expr) is supported by lib(ic).

> How can I build the above constraints using c++ API?

As stated before -- it is strongly recommended that you *do not* build
such complex data structures in C++. ECLiPSe is not designed to be a
constraint library for use with C++. If you want to do this, you are
probably better off using a different package that is designed for this.
You should do your programming in ECLiPSe itself.

The recommended way to use the ECLiPSe C++ interface is to keep the
interaction between C++ and ECLiPSe simple -- so for example, C++ should
just call some simple top-level query, and allow ECLiPSe to do the rest.

Having said this, you can build arbitrarily complex ECLiPSe structures
using the C++ interface, and so you can build any expressions you like.
It is not recommended because it is cumbersome, and it is easy to make
mistakes, and such mistakes may be hard to catch. If you really want to
build such expressions, the embedding and interfacing manual describes
how to build structures using the C++ interface.

Cheers,

Kish Shen