Re: [eclipse-clp-users] R: How to create a EC_word/string from an array?

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 12:06:13 +0100
Hi Giuseppe,

Your code first checks if X is a list -- if X is supposed to be your
array (i.e. the structure), then it would not be a list -- lists are
special structures with the functor ./2.

EC_word is essentially an ECLiPSe variable, i.e. it can be instantiated
to any term, but if you assign an array (which is a structure) to the
term, it is not an atomic term (and specifically not an atom or string,
which is what ec_get_string() requires the EC_word type to be. This is
the same as an array will not unify with a string.

In general, you should try to do as much of the manipulating of ECliPSe
data structure with ECLiPSe code, rather than in your C/C++ code. It is
much easier. In the C/C++ interface, you are essentially manipulating
the raw representation of the ECLiPSe data structures, and you should
really know something about the implementation of these things to use
them (although the EC_word does provide some protection). It is also
easy to get things wrong, without necessarily getting any immediate
errors, but which may then cause what seems to be mysterious problems
later on.

So if what you want to do is to convert an array, say [](1,2,3) to the
string "[](1,2,3)", the easiest way to do this is with ECLiPSe, e.g.
using term_string/2, and then passing the string to your C++ code. The
other way is to open a stream to

If you want to do this entirely in C++, you will need to first convert
the functor to a string, and then access each argument of your array to
convert the arguments to a string (and you may need to do this
recursively, if your arguments can be compound terms_. This is much more
difficult to write.

If you have any more questions, I think it may be best if you just send
them to me, rather than the whole list, unless you think they are of
general interest.