Re: [eclipse-clp-users] ECLiPSe C/C++ API and user/kernel time

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:48:46 +0100
Giuseppe Di Guglielmo wrote:
> Dear all,
> I am using the ECLiPSe C/C++ API in my applications.
>
> In general my applications spent 80% of overall execution time on constraint
> solving by using ECLiPSe function calls.
>
> I observed also (e.g. /usr/bin/time) that each application takes much more
> as kernel time than user time (one order of magnitude, e.g. 0.1 sec as user
> time, 1 sec as kernel time). Which is the reason? I assume is related to
> ECLiPSe. Could you confirm and explain me the grounds?

Hi Giuseppe,

I assume you are using some version of Unix. I think kernel time is the
time your process spends in executing system code, i.e. code that is
part of the kernel. This is of course OS dependent, and also dependent
on what your code is doing, but normally ECLiPSe does not spend much
time in system code. Have you tried running your ECLiPSe code on its own
and see how much time is spent in kernel time?

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.