Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Integer Set Library: Performance related to initial domain size?

From: Ulrich Scholz <Ulrich.Scholz_at_...10...>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 14:24:39 +0200
Dear Marco and all,

some simple tests show that the performance of the fd_sets library is
related to domain size:

Consider the three clauses below.  All require a non-empty set to have an
empty intersection with itself, thus they all should fail.

t1 does not fail but yields delayed goals.  So to detect the inconsistency,
we have to search for a solution.

t2 does this search and fails as expected.

t3 is the same clause as t2, with the difference of using a largely extended
domain.  Unfortunately, the inconsistency is found much slower that for
clause t2.

Is there a set constraint solver that allows to find such inconsistencies
symbolically, i.e., without searching for an actual solution?

Thanks,

Ulrich

:- lib(fd_sets).
:- use_module(library(fd)).

t1 :-
    intsets([T], _, 0, 10),

    integers([C]),
    C #>= 1,
    #(T,C),

    T disjoint T.

t2 :-
    intsets([T], _, 0, 10),

    integers([C]),
    C #>= 1,
    #(T,C),

    T disjoint T,

    insetdomain(T, _, _, _).

t3 :-
    intsets([T], _, 0, 10000),

    integers([C]),
    C #>= 1,
    #(T,C),

    T disjoint T,

    insetdomain(T, _, _, _).

--
Ulrich Scholz

Phone: +49-6221-533244
Email: ulrich.scholz_at_...10...

--

European Media Laboratory GmbH
Schloss-Wolfsbrunnenweg 33

Amtsgericht Mannheim / HRB 335719
Managing Partner: Dr. h.c. Klaus Tschira, Scientific and Managing
Director: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Andreas Reuter

www.eml-d.villa-bosch.de