Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Release of ECLiPSe 6.0

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 04:07:38 +0100
martinator.de_at_...114... wrote:
> Hello,
>
> bad news for you. I have a program which runs 27 seconds slower with eclipse prolog 6...
>
> 5.10.145: 57 seconds
> 6.0.43: 84 seconds

Hi,

Thank you for sending your program. I took a look at it. Using profile/1
to run your program, it seems that basically all the extra time in your
program is accounted for by the built-ins nonmember/2 and memberchk/2. I
ran tests on these two predicates, and they are indeed slower. We will
look into why this is so.

On a different point, independent of which ECLiPSe version you are
using: your program actually spend almost all its time running these two
predicates. This suggest that you can improve the execution time in your
program by improving the way you represent your data, such as using a
sorted list (the built-in sorting predicates are quite efficient in
ECLiPSe, they are implemented in C, and if you have a static list, you
need to sort only once), or some sort of tree structure, so that you
don't need to scan the whole list to see that an element is not a member
of it.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.