Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Eplex message "Cbc3007W No integer variables - nothing to do": How to get rid of?

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:49:13 +0100
Ulrich Scholz wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I use the eplex_osi_clpcbc library to build Integer optimization problems
> with decision variables dynamically.  It works well (and fast) but for the
> smaller problems I get the warning messages
>
>  Cbc3007W No integer variables - nothing to do
>  Cbc3007W No integer variables - nothing to do
>
> These are always two lines.  What is causing them?  How to get rid of them?
>
> My guess is that the small problems are "too simple" and there is no search.
> The larger ones don't show the messages.
>

> Thanks, Ulrich
>

> PS. Two small comments: The explanation of "++X" in the Terminology section
> of the User Manual has a bug.  And I consider the explanation of the
> creation of dynamic solver instances confusing: Maybe you should mention
> that to reuse the atom (e.g., the one unified with Pool in the second
> example of 9.3.2) you need to use eplex_cleanup/0.

Hi Ulrich,

The messages comes from Cbc, and not eplex. We don't have any good
control over what messages the external solver may generate. In the case
of Cbc/Clp, eplex already specify that it wants the lowest level above
no output (i.e. least amount) of messages from the solvers.

If you really want to get rid of them, you can supress the printing of
warning messages by supressing the warning_channel from the solver (this
is described in the `External Solver Output and Log' section of the
Constraints Library manual). However, this is *not* recommended, as you
probably want to see `real' warning messages from the solver.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.