Re: [eclipse-clp-users] memory limits

From: Joachim Schimpf (Independent Contractor) <"Joachim>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 18:12:31 +0100
Stephan Schiffel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wonder about the maximal amount of memory one can set for global/local
> stack. I didn't find anything about it in the documentation. If I set it to
> 2GB or more I get very strange errors that are difficult to reproduce. 1GB
> global stack and 512MB local stack work reliably for me, but I'd like to use
> some more memory and knowing which numbers work for sure would be good.

The first point is that you should only need to increase the GLOBAL stack limit,
because that's where all the data is allocated.  If you exhaust the LOCAL stack,
then there is probably something wrong with your program - check in particular
for unnecessary nondeterminism (see user manual section on memory management).
And since unnecessary nondeterminism affects memory requirements on all stacks,
this will probably have a healthy effect on your global stack size as well.

The maximum for the stack size limits (essentially the -g option) depend purely
on the operating system.  The following sizes are known to work:

32-bit Windows:	-g 1g
32-bit Linux:	-g 1900m
32-bit Solaris:	-g 3800m
64-bit:		no real limit

The size of your swap file/partition is also a limiting factor.  However, giving
more than the available physical memory doesn't make sense anyway, as paging
will slow everything to a halt...

Cheers,
Joachim