Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Q: Linear Programming with Disjunction constraints

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:15:42 +0100
Kim Lai wrote:
 > hi, I found a strange behavior about the big-M constraints in eplex.
 > Two code snippet with the same logic result in different opt solution.
 > For code 1:
 > => [A1, A2, A3] = [0, 0.2, 0] , Cost = 2.5
 > For code 2:
 > => [A1, A2, A3] = [ 0, 0.1, 2.6], Cost = 3.9
 >
 > Is there any thing that I misunderstand or need to set up ?

I am not really an expert on linear programming, but I think the problem
you are seeing is due to scaling -- the value you have chosen for the
Big-M, 10000000, is too big.

In the branch-and-bound performed by a MIP solver, when the relaxed
solution value of an integer variable is `close to' an integer, it is
considered an integer. So in the case of your 0/1 B variables, a value
of 0 may actually be a very small value, e.g. 1x10e-6. However,
1x10e-6*1000000 is not 0, and in fact is bigger than the range of
numbers you are working with.

I think the general recommendation for `Big-M' is that it should be just
`big enought', to avoid these sort of numeric problems. In your problem,
even 10 is sufficient. I tried your problem with M = 1000, and the two
problem you sent gave the same answer (2.5).