Re: [eclipse-users] ec_cleanup() segmentation fault

From: Kish Shen <kish_at_...2...>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 15:55:41 +0000
Hi Giuseppe,

I think the seg fault is caused by an incorrect use of cut_to() method:

 >    while (EC_succeed == EC_resume(Search)) {
 >        Search.cut_to();

You should not be calling cut_to() with Search, which is not
initialised, and will thus cause the cut to be applied to some undefined
value (i.e. essentially a random value), which leads to the seg fault..

As mentioned in the ECLiPSe embedding manual
http://www.eclipse-clp.org/doc/embedding/embroot067.html

cut_to() should be applied to a ToC cut return value of an EC_resume, in
this case EC_resume with two arguments, not the one with one argument
that you called, so you need something like:

    EC_ref  ToC;
    while (EC_succeed == EC_resume(Search, ToC)) {
    ToC.cut_to();

I tested the change to your code as shown above, and the program runs
without crashing.

We are looking to see if it is possible for the C++ interface to catch
these sort of errors and abort the execution when these errors are
detected, instead of crashing like this.

However, a more general point about interfacing to ECLiPSe from an
external language: it is best to try and keep the interface between the
two languages as simple as possible -- in particular, try to avoid
constructing complex data structures for the other language (e.g.
ECLiPSe data structures/goals in C++, as in your case), and in using
such dangerous features as applying a cut from C++ (which is what
cut_to() does, except that unlike ECLiPSe, the programmer need to supply
the correct for the cut to apply to). In general, it is

1) easy to get these wrong, but difficult for ECLiPSe to catch every
possible error,

2) it is much more difficult to read the code and see what the actual
data structures etc. are,

If there is a problem that is not caught by the interface, the resulting
problem might cause a seg fault immediately if you are lucky, or it can
mess up the ECLiPSe execution state in subtle ways that may cause
problems some time later that would be very difficult to debug..

So for your example, instead of constructing the expressions in C++ and
then calling a goal and then applying a cut to it from C++, it is better
to write an ECLiPSe program with the goal and cut:

mygoal(...) :-
    <do set up>
    indomain(....), !.

then in your C++ code, you can call ECLiPSe to load the file with
mygoal(...) in it, and then call mygoal, which does the set up of the
various terms you need (you can supply the data via the arguments for
mygoal), and then does the indomain(...) followed by the cut, all in
ECLiPSe.